Fade-in Response to sudden level changes

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
mrbob203

Fade-in Response to sudden level changes

Post by mrbob203 »

I'm playing around with my new 2B, and have been testing the commander capabilities of it. I'm happy to report I got it working with the commander program and serial commands sent directly over a COM port. For one brief moment, I even got it working with LondonSubNigel's android app, but haven't been able to get it to work again, though I'm fairly certain that's due to android's finickiness with USB host, not any fault of the 2B.

Anyway, what I noticed with all these control methods, is that there seems to be a fade-in of a couple seconds when issuing a command to change the power level from 0 to, say, 40. I can understand the design philosophy of why it's there, to avoid unwanted surprise jolts, but one of my main purposes for the 2B is as a "training device", where I want the capability to deliver surprise jolts as punishment / pain play. Sure, it can pack a pretty strong punch, but it removes much of the effect if there's a series of smaller pulses to warn someone before the strong pulses. Ideally, I want to be able to deliver a single quick, sharp jolt, like the e-stim version of a slap, so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing or a workaround to remove the fade-in.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Fade-in Response to sudden level changes

Post by admin »

The Fade in is sometimes more apparent with greater changes in level and is a combination of the hardware used, and the software. At the moment its not changeable, but I will look into it

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
GM66
Active

Post by GM66 »

I for one am glad that this is there...I always appreciate the head's up instead of a kick in the balls. But then again, BDSM isn't really my thing, so...
mrbob203

Post by mrbob203 »

GM66 wrote:I for one am glad that this is there...I always appreciate the head's up instead of a kick in the balls. But then again, BDSM isn't really my thing, so...
I definitely agree that the way it is now is better as the default behavior. Most users would probably prefer it the way it is now. My ideal solution would be some kind of override command, so for example if I sent A70 to the 2B, it would do its normal fade-in, but if I sent A70,Override it would immediately jump to the 70% output level. That way it wouldn't impact any users who don't want unexpected zaps, and it wouldn't affect any existing control software, but it would be available to those of us who want an immediate response from the 2B.
ducttape101
Active

Post by ducttape101 »

I second this! I would also love to have a "prosumer" or a "direct drive" mode which translates the audio a directly as possible to the stim signal.

As it is, the fade-in is way too slow to do many of the interesting things you could do with an audio input. For example, it is not possible to emulate the pulse or bounce mode, so as to create variations with different duty cycles or phase differences. I would also like to have a broader frequency range and if possible complex waveforms composed of multiple frequencies.

I have a couple of cheap estim devices, and these have no fade-in at all. They just jolt the amplitude from 0 to max and back without any smoothing, and I do like this. Also I have a device where you can set the raw frequency between about 2 and 150 Hz, which I also love to have. The very low frequencies (below say 20 Hz) are kind of painful, but can be good when combined with other sensations. At one point I hooked up the two devices, creating a superposition of waveforms. One was generating continuous low frequency pulses (like 8Hz) and the other a +/- 40Hz pulse with a 1-second amplitude pulse modulation with 50% duty cycle. Loved it, and like to do this with the 2B.
tumblrjoeb
Active

Post by tumblrjoeb »

I too would love to be able to create complex pulse patterns. I've written routines for sonic pi to create these however the minimum duration of the pulse has to be 2 secs for the audio mode to get up to the right level. I was hoping that fast audio was going to give me this level of control.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't forget that fast audio is still a work in progress. Some of the delay is also hardware related, and there is an inherent lag in the internal drive system.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
ZaphodB

Post by ZaphodB »

ducttape101 wrote:I second this! I would also love to have a "prosumer" or a "direct drive" mode which translates the audio a directly as possible to the stim signal.

As it is, the fade-in is way too slow to do many of the interesting things you could do with an audio input. For example, it is not possible to emulate the pulse or bounce mode, so as to create variations with different duty cycles or phase differences. I would also like to have a broader frequency range and if possible complex waveforms composed of multiple frequencies.

I have a couple of cheap estim devices, and these have no fade-in at all. They just jolt the amplitude from 0 to max and back without any smoothing, and I do like this. Also I have a device where you can set the raw frequency between about 2 and 150 Hz, which I also love to have. The very low frequencies (below say 20 Hz) are kind of painful, but can be good when combined with other sensations. At one point I hooked up the two devices, creating a superposition of waveforms. One was generating continuous low frequency pulses (like 8Hz) and the other a +/- 40Hz pulse with a 1-second amplitude pulse modulation with 50% duty cycle. Loved it, and like to do this with the 2B.
This is exactly the same experience for me with 2 different devices and I love it too. It's just fantastic!

Of course 2B is a really great device (proud owner for about a month) and I think it has an even greater potential, but I'm missing the plain features of the cheap devices like just setting a frequency and a pulse rate/speed.

Is there a way to do this?
I've already read a "few" posts here, but could somebody please point me to a post with more technical information (e.g. what is possible, what is not possible to change programmatically?). Or is everything in the "developer" section of this forum?
(I'm an professional software developer for databases and Windows with over 30 years of experience in programming.)

Greetings from Germany
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Its curious that a number of people ask for something that a number of other people hate :-).

We are moving towards a 'pro-sumer' version with more advanced settings on the way, but the fadein/fadeout is not just software but also has some elements in hardware, which cannot change in the current version of the 2B. We can make more responsive audio modes, but then have issues with the display which is software driven and slow compared to our A-D system. The new firmware has a more responsive audio mode, but there is still more work needed before I will look to releasing it as 'finished'.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd